Mushroom and Barley Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 28g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrates 236g
Dietary Fiber 49g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound fresh porcini or other mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 quarts beef broth or water
- 1 cup whole barley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1. Soak the mushrooms in enough hot water to cover for a half hour. Strain through a filter. Reserve the water.
- 2. Coarsely chop the dried mushrooms.
- 3. Melt the margarine in a stockpot and sauté the onion, celery, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, carrot, garlic, and fresh mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Lower the heat and add the flour, stirring every 30 seconds for about 5 minutes or until thick.
- 5. In a soup pot heat the broth or water. Add a cup of mushroom mixture at a time to the pot, stirring.
- 6. Turn the heat to high, and add the reserved mushroom water and barley. Stir well and add salt to taste.
- 7. Simmer, covered, for about an hour or until the barley is tender and the soup is thickened, stirring often.
- 8. Add additional chopped parsley, mix thoroughly, and adjust seasonings.