Beef and Broccoli
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 1748
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 197g
Saturated Fat 41g
Trans Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 24g
Monounsaturated Fat 116g
Total Carbohydrates 64g
Dietary Fiber 13g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- ⅓ cup Shaoxing rice wine, dry sherry or sake
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pound beef — chuck or rib steak — sliced thin against the grain
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ½ tablespoon chile-garlic sauce, or to taste
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon neutral oil, like canola, grapeseed or peanut
- 1 pound broccoli, the head cut into florets and the stems peeled and cut into planks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the wine, 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce and the cornstarch. Add the beef to the bowl, and toss to combine, then cover the bowl, and set aside for 20 minutes or so.
- To make the sauce, combine in a small bowl the remaining soy sauce, the oyster sauce and the chile-garlic sauce, and mix to combine, then add a tablespoon of water and mixagain. Set aside.
- Heat the 1/2 cup of oil in a wok set over high heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add about half the beef to the wok, and stir-fry until it is browned and crisp and barely cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl or plate, and set aside. Then repeat with remaining beef.
- Pour off the oil in the wok, wipe it out with a towel and return it to the stove over high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon oil, and swirl it around and heat it until it is smoking. Add the broccoli and cook, tossing and stirring frequently, until lightly charred in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to the wok, and toss and stir the broccoli in the steam for an additional 2 minutes, then return beef to the wok, followed by the sauce. Cook, stirring and tossing frequently, for 30 seconds or so, then add the butter, and stir and toss again for 30 seconds more. Serve immediately, with rice.