From Marilyn Mossman
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Two 35-ounce cans crushed Italian plum tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Pass the tomatoes and their liquid through a food mill fitted with the fine disc.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a 4- to 5-quart pot over medium high heat. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, crushed red pepper and bay leaves, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.