Baked Lentil and Spinach Stuffed Shells
Here's an easy baked pasta dish that gets big flavor from lentils. Canned lentils are particularly convenient, but you can also cook your own from scratch - you'll need 1 1/2 cups cooked, drained and cooled lentils for this recipe.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 779
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 89g
Saturated Fat 47g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 23g
Total Carbohydrates 424g
Dietary Fiber 116g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 8 ounces (about 30) jumbo pasta shells
- 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, drained
- 1 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (25-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook shells in salted boiling water until just barely tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. Drain again. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine lentils, ricotta cheese and spinach. Spread half of the marinara sauce over the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling into each shell and place them open side up in the dish; fit them together snugly, and you should be able to get them all in a single layer. Pour remaining marinara evenly over the top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Per Serving: Serving size: about 5 stuffed shells, 430 calories (110 from fat), 12g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 13g sugar), 23g protein